Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Talented Artists

I wanted to give a little plug to the latest Tabby's Place newsletter found here.  There are all sorts of cool stories and cute pictures in this easy to read format.


I have always preferred what I call "real" art to abstract art. That's just me. Mostly what I love are actual pictures or renderings that look like animals.  I also enjoy photos of the beautiful variety of nature all over the world.  


Over the years, in my travels, I've made a point of checking out art galleries and festivals to seek out these things. I very rarely buy them due to the cost but I can certainly appreciate them and store the name in the back of my mind should a few extra bucks become available.


One of my favorites is a sculptor named Eric Thorsen. I first discovered him while visiting family in Montana. He has a studio in Bigfork. Much of his work is of animals - horses, bears, mountain lions. He does it in bronze so it is quite heavy. Even a small mountain lion was more than I could spend but it is gorgeous work. He has cool tables that have running water with bears catching salmon under the glass top. Maybe one of these days, I'll get one of his pieces.


The other really awesome artist I love is Thomas Mangelsen. I first discovered him while at veterinary conference in Las Vegas. I walked into this gallery and was in love instantly. He had so many beautiful photographs of big cats, birds, nature, etc. It was like you were there. He makes you feel as if you could reach out and touch these creatures or that you are standing in a gorgeous field of flowers in the Rockies. My FAVORITE photo is called "Shades of Sapphire".
This photo is absolutely stunning when viewed in person where it's generally a large (40x60) framed image. Tom goes on nature trips and spends weeks working to get these photos. I truly hope I can own this one someday.



No comments:

Post a Comment