Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Monday, April 11, 2011

Easter Lily Toxicity

Since Easter is coming up in a few weeks and people are getting their houses decorated for the holiday, I thought it would be a good time to educate my readers on the dangers lilies pose to our feline friends. In fact, in an article the NAVC Clinician's Brief (March 2005), lilies are listed as one of the top 10 toxic plants in our pets. In another article, (Veterinary Medicine, June 2006), they are listed as one of the 10 most common kitty toxicities. 

This includes Easter lilies but also tiger, Japanese show, rubrum, day lilies and other hybrids.

All parts of the plant are toxic to cats. We still don't know the actual toxin that causes this. As little as one leaf can be fatal to a cat. Cats initially vomit after ingesting some of the plant. Over the next 1-2 days, they go into kidney failure. If the cat recently ate this (known or suspect), we need to induce vomiting AND give activated charcoal. Then we need to administer IV fluids for several days. This is NOT an outpatient case. Prognosis in these cases is guarded and in many cases, cats may end up in chronic renal failure. Obviously the sooner we intervene, the better the chance the cat can make a full recovery.

So please keep your Easter lilies away from inquisitive kitties. If there is any question on whether they would chew on them or eat them, decorate with safer plants (Easter orchids, Easter lily cactus, Easter daisy or violets). Remember that cats are very good at getting almost anywhere if curiosity strikes. I know in my house, there are only 3 surfaces I can put flowers/plants because anywhere else has some accessible point for them.  

FYI - these are NOT toxic to dogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment