Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Breed of the Week: American Hairless Terrier


This is the puppy I saw last week.

I admit to not knowing much about this breed. I hadn't seen one EVER until last week. While generally I am not as big on "hairless" breeds, I have to tell you this dog was REALLY adorable and so velvety to touch.  What a sweetie too!

Taken directly from www.dogbreedinfo.com:

In build, the American Hairless Terrier is identical to the medium-sized Rat Terriers, from whom he is directly descended. The American Hairless is a well-muscled dog with a deep chest, strong shoulders, solid neck, and powerful legs.

American Hairless Terriers are intelligent, alert, playful and loving dogs. Very inquisitive and lively. This affectionate dog makes an excellent companion for anyone. They are good with children...

They reportedly live 14-16 years, as one would expect for a dog this size (between 5-16 lbs).  There are not many health issues listed for them and, as I've never seen one before I can't report any of MY personal experiences with them. They only report minor skin issues - rashes/irritations - as this breed does have sweat glands. They need to be protected from sunburn as well.    





No comments:

Post a Comment