Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Friday, January 27, 2012

Not Sure How I Feel About This

I'm of the mind that, in many things but especially medicine, just because we can do something, we should not necessarily do it.


This stems from my clinical rotations through ICU my fourth year of veterinary school, where I saw animals that were being kept alive and going but were not going to return home or if they did, not with a very good quality of life. I am thrilled to find pet owners who will spend money and do whatever it takes to keep their pet healthy. There are things that do cost a lot and take a lot of commitment, but are absolutely worth it, in my opinion.  


This story talks about a knee replacement in a cat. If you know me, you know I am as passionate about cats as one can get. I never tire of seeing dedicated cat owners. However, as the owner of a very happy 3 legged cat, I can tell you that they live just fine with 3 legs. It's not about the money. What do you want to put your pet through when there's a very good alternative? In fact, this may not eliminate pain and there may be secondary issues post implantation.


I'm not here to judge. I am just thinking of how I personally feel on it and what I would do were it my cat. At the end of the day, we each have the right to make the decisions we feel are best for our pets and frankly, I prefer to keep it that way.  You cannot legislate morality. 



No comments:

Post a Comment