Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Friday, January 20, 2012

Hairballs huh?


So I found this cool article about a species once thought extinct being found. Ok, nice. Totally up my alley. Then I read this in it and had to laugh: 
In the past they were hunted to near extinction for their meat and bezoar "stones," he said, which can, on occasion, be found in their guts.


Bezoars, as Harry Potter fans know from lectures given by Prof. Snape to first year students, are believed by some to neutralize poison.


Ok, I remember learning about bezoars in vet school. The one thing I came away with is: it's a fancy sounding word for....wait for it....giant hairball!! Ok, technically that is a trichobezoar, but that is the most common thing we find in animals. 







No comments:

Post a Comment