Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Thursday, January 6, 2011

My first time..thanks to York Peppermint Patties

I've been tossing around the idea of staring one of these. After all, it seems everyone has one. But I do believe one has to be careful what they post. Nothing is really private anymore. So I go with the "I will post only what I feel literally ANYONE on the planet could read and I'd be ok with" philosophy...and yes, this does leave out a lot of stuff :)  But those who know me, will already KNOW this stuff anyhow.

So on to York Peppermint patties. I was standing in line at Target, looking at this product which I do love, and getting totally ticked off because I wanted so badly (yet again) to stick a post-it on these things warning people to BOYCOTT them. And I wanted to find a way to get the word out to the public. Why you ask? Well, maybe you don't know but Hershey has moved the manufacturing of these delicious and wonderfully low- fat treats from the US to Mexico. I personally contacted the company to complain and let them know I was no longer going to buy them. There is no reason they should NOT be made in the US. As expected, I got back some PC and BS answer, which only makes me even more upset with this company.

This is the response I got (Nov 29, 2010): (my comments are in red)

Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company.

We appreciate your interest in our company and want to provide you with information on our Global Supply Chain Transformation. 

As The Hershey Company expands internationally, we must make changes to our manufacturing network to ensure that our company remains competitive in the global marketplace for the long term.  (or.."we need to cut costs and find a cheap labor source)  We are making these changes in a way that is consistent with Hershey's heritage and values.   (Oh really?? The value of giving away jobs and moving to a country with substandard living and food safety standards?)

Our history in the town goes back more than 100 years, and we are committed to continue making the world's best chocolate products in Hershey, Pennsylvania. In fact, the company is creating one of the world's largest, most advanced chocolate facilities right here in Hershey. This project represents a significant investment and will ensure that we continue to make Hershey's milk chocolate bars, Hershey's Kisses milk chocolates, HERSHEY'S syrup, and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups as well as a wide variety of other products right here in Hershey, Pennsylvania. We also make about a million miles of TWIZZLERS each year at our Lancaster facility, a few miles from Hershey. To learn more, visit us at http://www.hersheys.com/discover/chocolate.asp to take a tour of our plants and see where we make some of our iconic brands. (so don't pay attention to that..look at ALL we are doing here!)

Our Global Supply Chain Transformation program includes a strong commitment to manufacturing throughout North America. We're investing millions of dollars to add capabilities and increase production at our existing U.S. manufacturing plants, including Stuarts Draft, Va.; Lancaster, Pa.; Hazleton, Pa.; and, of course, in Hershey, Pa. We are also strengthening our network of manufacturing partners in the United States and Canada. 

Milton Hershey, our founder, and his wife Catherine were extraordinary individuals. Their legacy includes the town of Hershey, The Hershey Company, and Milton Hershey School. Today, the Milton Hershey School provides education and housing to 1,700 disadvantaged children. The Trust that administers the school is our company's largest shareholder, making the children of Milton Hershey School the direct beneficiaries of our business success. 

At The Hershey Company, we are proud of our heritage and values, and of the role that our company continues to play in the lives of the children of Milton Hershey School. (has what to do with my original complaint/issue with products being manufactured in Mexico???)


--------

Since I didn't and couldn't do the post it note, I figured why not blog about it. We, as Americans, need to stand up TOGETHER against this stuff..global supply chain my &**..well, it's just ridiculous. Americans can make this product just fine, thank you very much!  BUY AMERICAN!! Always check labels! 


Let me add, I realize that Hershey's does provide jobs in America and support local economies but I will not buy any of their products that are not manufactured here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment