Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Overheard at Vaccine Clinics #2

So, yesterday we had a very successful vaccine clinic. This would not be possible without all the volunteers that help out. Their duties include filling out paperwork for each patient, taking payments, helping folks with the microchip paperwork if they want one, and answering basic questions. Some of them helped us out with vaccinating and drawing blood as well. 


The line was out the door and to the road MOST of the 3 1/2 hours - basically until the end of things, which went into overtime.


There were no major issues - 2 cats were a challenge. One we simply could not do. The risk of this cat getting out (these things are often held in township municipal garages - in this case, doors were open because of the weather and set up) was too great and someone might've gotten hurt as well. The second cat we were able to take into a small office and vaccinate.


Anyhow, these things are always interesting because of the variety of pets and people that come through.


This time, these are some of the things that got my attention. Some of them weren't overheard but spoken to me...


1. What's the difference between rabies and distemper? I say this with no disrespect for the questioner. It's one of those things that makes me realize how much we have to continually educate. This is especially true in some areas or populations that have less contact with a veterinarian. I guess what caught me off guard was her lack of understanding regarding rabies. She really had no idea about it. She knew her pet needed a vaccine for it. That's a big public health one and most of the people, including clients, I run into, understand the basics of where it comes from and how it's transmitted, etc.  


2.  Speaking of rabies, I had a guy ask me if they develop the vaccine from rabid animals. He said he tried to find out on the internet but Let me just say, he was..a bit odd.


3. A general concept: breeders  - either go to vet school or stop pretending you did. (note: some breeders are awesome and wonderful and don't' try to pretend they are vets and breed for the right reasons..sadly, not the majority). 


4. One lady wanted me to give a rabies vaccine in the dogs freakin abdomen. Ok, not quite but she was convinced this dog developed hot spots when it was given where it's usually given - subcutaneously in the right hip. Know why? Because frequently, it WILL cause a small lump a few weeks post vaccine. That's normal but then we KNOW why the dog has a lump and don't run to surgery. You can have skin reactions that cause hairloss, etc but that's rare. And often, it doesn't grow back. This dog had a perfectly nice hair coat. Oh and these dogs are show dogs. And breeding dogs. Makes you wonder why they aren't going to a vet office for this stuff...


5. Lastly - that I can remember for now after a hectic weekend of animal care - the number of people that think they are going to hold their animals for me while I draw blood or give 4 vaccines is astounding. First of all, the little dogs generally do not tolerate this stuff. I need a good holder. I need someone I trust. And for liability reasons, my tech or I need to be the ones bit. Not to mention, I really hate having to stick them 8 times to do something that would've taken me one time with proper restraint. Now I realize there are SOME pets that do better with the owners. But the VAST majority..VAST VAST VAST..do not. And owners have no clue at all how to hold. Again, especially with our little itty bitty pets but truly even some big guys with their Rotties - clueless. Attempting to muscle them down is NOT proper restraint and usually only upsets the pet more. I refuse to take any chances and simply say, NO, my technician will hold. No one has gotten offended so far, and if they do, oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment