Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Breed of the Week: American Pit Bull Terriers

When I was thinking of what breed to do this week (yes, I realize I've skipped this as my Saturday topic for a bit but I don't want you to get bored), I thought about what breeds I see walk in my door on a daily basis. I've already covered just a few that I see regularly and a few less common ones.




This breed is one of the most misunderstood breeds out there.
Ask anyone who works at a veterinary hospital what breeds they fear as far as biting/aggression/possible being injured by, etc. and I can tell you that "Pit Bulls" do not make the top 10. You know what breeds they'll say: Chow Chows, Cocker Spaniels, Chihuahuas, Miniature Pinschers, American Eskimos, and  Rotties (yes there are many nice ones of these too but I've face more "hairy eyeballs" from this breed than Pits)  and Cane Corsos, to name some. Vets and techs out there feel free to add YOUR "biters" to the comment section.


The biggest "danger" from most pits is whether or not they are dog and/or cat friendly. Many are and  live in homes with all sorts of critters. There are some that are dog aggressive or see cats as prey but guess what? Many greyhounds see cats as prey too. I know many breeds and mixed breed dogs that do not like other dogs. So what? 


99% of these dogs (uh oh..should we have them occupy Pet Smart??) are sweet and loveable mushes! I am telling you I can do nearly anything I have to without any trouble. They are so stoic it can be hard to determine if and where they are painful.


The biggest health issues I see are skin related. For dogs that are abused and used to fight, they actually have sensitive skin. Many have recurrent skin infections and allergies.   They can also have hip issues.


The biggest problem I see with them are that FAR FAR too many people who have them want to breed them. This is beyond aggravating for us in the business as we KNOW how many shelters are overflowing with Pit Bulls -many of whom are sweet and would make wonderful pets but:


1. There are just far too many period for the number of homes available
2. Many places won't allow Pits due to homeowners insurance or other such bans (ridiculous breed discrimination)
3. Sadly many of these people are only adding to the stereotypes about what Pits represent - even though they are NOT fighting their pits
4. Breeding, if done right, does not produce wads of dough
5. Many people are "afraid" of pits because of unfair media sensationalism and will choose instead (after seeing that the shelter has mainly these) a high priced pet store puppy, like a cute adorable Cocker, who will grow up to be a biter. Yeah, I've seen this scenario a few times..trust me.

4 comments:

  1. what is the name of the dog who's picture you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was too long ago for me to recall that Bruce!

      Delete
  2. We are speaking to law enforcement officials to see if there is anything that can be done to stop this practice. Dogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a truly incredible challenge and ideally I can go to the following one. It was alot of fun and I truly lived it up.. website here

    ReplyDelete