Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Breed of the Week: Komondor

This is not going to be a long one as this breed is not common and I have only seen ONE. AND That experience was unforgettable - NOT in a good way!




This is a Hungarian guard dog. They are, therefore, often aggressive dogs when protecting property but are supposedly great with their own families.


MY experience involved a dog that was a threat to anyone - even after this family took the time to do training, etc. They did it all, but the dog was a major liability.


The dog was brought in to be euthanized. I was working at a mixed animal practice at the time, so I had access to large animal drugs also. I used HORSE strength sedatives to knock this dog down to the point we could get IV drugs into him. What I gave him would've brought an average 1000lb horse down. Not him. I had to give him MORE. Even with THAT, he fought back getting a vein for the final drug. Wow. Not a pleasant experience even getting through the coat.


I'd probably say other than behavior, coat care is probably the other BIG issue with this breed. 


Just MY opinion: don't get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment