Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Friday, February 11, 2011

The Veterinary Oath









This year marks the 250th year of the founding of the world's first veterinary school. More about THAT another day.
 I thought I'd share something I only just learned about - an "update" to the oath I took upon graduating from veterinary school. Mine was closer to the newer version. 
This is the new oath that THIS year's class will take (it's the 3rd revision by the way to better reflect the changes that have taken place since then):
Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health and welfare, the prevention and relief of animal suffering, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.
I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics.
I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.
The original:




Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly dedicate myself and the knowledge I possess to the benefit of society, to the conservation of our livestock resources and to the relief of suffering of animals.
I will practice my profession conscientiously with dignity. The health of my patients, the best interest of their owners, and the welfare of my fellow man, will be my primary considerations. I will, at all times, be humane and temper pain with anesthesia where indicated.
I will not use my knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity, nor in contravention to the ethical code of my profession. I will uphold and strive to advance the honor and noble traditions of the veterinary profession. These pledges make freely in the eyes of God and upon my honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment