Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard cub (7 mos old) - Cape May County Zoo

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Be Aware of Toxic Holiday Plants

People always think Poinsettias are toxic. They are not. They are, at worst, irritating to the mouth and intestinal tract. There are far worse plants on this list. Please be aware of it and keep them out of reach of your pets.  And know what type of plants are in your house too. This will be a huge help if your pet does ingest part of one. 

Speaking of Pets
Holiday plants and pets

Article published on Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011
The holiday season is upon us once again. Decorating for the holidays most always includes using plants and flowers to beautify our environment.

There are many plants and flowers that are toxic to pets but only a few of the most popular holiday plants will be discussed here. It is important to know what parts of the plant or flower are toxic and what symptoms your pet may experience.

• Holly is used in making wreaths or decorating mantles. It is the berries that are toxic. The severity of the symptoms usually correlates with how many berries are eaten. The symptoms seen after ingestion are vomiting, diarrhea, and depression.

• Mistletoe is customarily hung in doorways so that when two people are under the mistletoe at the same time they are obliged to kiss. The berries are toxic but some sources say that the leaves and stem are more toxic than the berries. Either way, it is important to make sure that these are not ingested. This plant can cause significant vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, decreased heart rate, erratic behavior, sudden collapse and even death.

• Amaryllis (with red or red and white flowers) is very popular during the holiday season. It is the flower that is most toxic. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, depressed appetite, excessive salivation, tremors, and sometimes abdominal pain.

• Poinsettia is probably the most frequently seen holiday plant. It is the sap from the leaves (not the flower) that can be irritating if ingested. If enough is eaten it can cause vomiting but it is basically non-toxic. 

The Rest of the List

No comments:

Post a Comment